Today we released the SURF Database. SURF stands for Standish User Research Forum and has 3,000 members. The SURF database is a single perpetual and active survey database that contains 20 questions with multiple sub-questions with a variable number of answer choices. A key feature of the database is the ability to be able to select any answer choice to narrow the view. For example question #12 asks “Do you require your project managers to have PMI certification or the equivalent?” The answer choices are “Yes” or “No”. If you select “No” you will see the other 19 answers with only the responses that said “No”. You can then select ‘Yes” to see the “Yes” responses” to be able to compare the results. There are 133 different answer choices making over ten thousand different combinations and permutation views of the data.
We have taken the 20 most popular and important questions on the project management environment from 20 years of our DARTS (Demand Assessment Requirements Tracking Survey) to create the new SURF database. Our aim is to have 300 fresh surveys deleting and updating older responses. We plan to turnover 1/12th of the responses every month. This process creates the perpetual and active database while having a fresh continuous data stream. In launching the SURF database we collected 300 responses. The following are the questions with the number of choices in the SURF Database.
1. In general, do you utilize the following agile methods to optimize your projects? Question #1 has three sections each with four answer choices.
2. Do you have an active program to optimize business processes by? Question #2 has three sections each with four answer choices.
3. What is your general practice on project budgeting and cost collaboration? Question #3 has five answer choices.
4. What percent of your individual project budget do you estimate is used to meet compliance regulations? Question #4 has four answer choices.
5. Do you currently use a project portfolio management (PPM) solution to help select the best projects for investment? Question #5 has five answer choices.
6. Who manages the project portfolio? Question #6 has five answer choices.
7. Who controls the project process? Question #7 has five answer choices.
8. Who controls the enterprise architecture? Question #8 has five answer choices.
9. Who controls the selection and use of project management tools? Question #9 has five answer choices.
10. Who controls the selection and use of change management tools? Question #10 has five answer choices.
11. Who controls the selection and use of application development tools? Question #11 has five answer choices
12. Do you require your project managers to have PMI certification or the equivalent? Question #12 answer choices are yes or no.
13. How do you calculate ROI for individual requirements? Question #13 has five answer choices.
14. How would you describe your organizations efforts in developing and maintaining financial and risk metrics for project requirements? Question #14 has three sections each with three answer choices.
15. How would you rate your organization's speed in making critical decisions during the development and implementation of projects? Question #15 has three answer choices.
16. In general, who participates in project selection/approval in your organization? Question #16 has four answer choices.
17. Does your organization develop any appraisal of complexity on its projects? Question #17 has four answer choices.
18. In your opinion, what is the level of project management's expertise in your organization? Question #18 has five answer choices.
19. In your opinion do you agree or disagree with the following statement that project Management procedures and policies: Question #19 has five sections each with five answer choices.
20. In general, who is the primary sponsor for your software projects? Question #20 has five answer choices.
Current members now have access to the SURF Database. New Professional, Skills Appraisals and Resolution Benchmark memberships also has access to the SURF Database. Please see new Memberships.